home email books map mice heather workshops links


Monthly Archives

click to view the site maptell a friend about us

storytime fun and games latest news George's Workshop

Click on an book to find out more


Find out what the mice have been up to, and all their exciting adventures!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Our grand tour of Paris!

When Matilda and I woke up in the pigeon’s nest next day, we looked out over the city of Paris and were spellbound.  It really was beautiful.  Streets were being washed with water, and bread was being delivered to the café opposite, which Pavel said was good, as there’d be plenty for us for later.  He swooped off and fetched a bit for breakfast and the bread was still warm.  Yummy.

He then asked us where we’d like to go and what we’d most like to see.  Of course the Eiffel Tower was somewhere we’d heard about, but otherwise we didn’t know much about Paris.  Matilda had heard about fashion houses but we were not sure if they made dresses small enough for mice.  Pavel decided to take us along what’s called the Left Bank, where artists sell their paintings, beside the river Seine which runs through Paris.  We got into the hang gliding glove and zoomed off, past the great cathedral of Notre Dame, where we perched on the ledge of the wonderful Rose Window and watched people moving around on the pavements beneath us.  There were things on the roof like dragons which scared Matilda, (well, me too) till Pavel said they were only stone statues.  He showed us the Pont Neuf, which is the oldest and longest bridge in Paris, and also a little island called St Louis where he knew a wonderful icecream shop and we swooped down to taste some.  We saw a big glass pyramid outside the Louvre, which is one of the most famous museums in the world, Pavel says.  It is at one end of a 5-mile long avenue that runs through the centre of Paris, and the most famous street is called the Champs-Elysees which goes down to the Arc de Triomphe.  We perched there for a while and just watched the city with everyone moving about like ants beneath us.  Matilda loved all the flower sellers and the colours.  I liked the food, especially near the glass pyramid at the Louvre where a lot of people at the café in the square were chucking nibbly things down for the birds whilst they sipped their champagne.  Pavel got lots for us.  Nibbly things, not champagne of course.

We didn’t want to tire him out, as till recently he hadn’t been very well, so we flew home after seeing the Louvre, and rested again with his family before supper.  The next day, he felt well enough to fly us home to England, as Matilda had been worrying a bit about how the children would be managing in the Tree without us, so we set off again at dawn with bags of crumbs for the journey, and some fruit.  We did say, though, that we’d love to come over again, and Pavel’s family told us we’d always be welcome to stay with them.  It was the most exciting journey we have ever made but Pavel says he’ll take us to lots of other places whenever he can come and pick us up, so the future looks bright.  Next time we plan to take the children but we’ll have to invent a bigger hang glider to attach below his tummy so more of us can go.

With best whiskers from George and Matilda Mouse

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Round and round the Eiffel Tower!

Once across the Channel we rested up for a while in Calais, which is a port full of ships and boats of all shapes and sizes.  We all hid behind a waste bin and Pavel pecked around for scraps.  He got us some crisps and white bread off the ground by the bin, but it was rather stale and to be honest we were rather disappointed, having heard that French food is the best in the world.  Pavel said not to worry, when we taste the wonderful food his friends eat in Paris, we will never want to eat anywhere else!

He explained to us that he has some stuff in his brain called ‘magnatite’ and it helps him to navigate as he flies along.  We couldn’t quite understand how but it sounds very clever, a bit like a Satnav but it doesn’t need to talk to you, you just sense signals from the earth as you fly over it.  He knew his way easily across country down to Paris, and in what seemed like no time at all, we could see the Eiffel tower all lit up with coloured lights, in the heart of the City.  Pavel made for it and flew round and round and round it till we felt quite dizzy.  He said it would give us the best views of Paris at night, and it would make a fine welcome for us, like a salute. Matilda enjoyed it but I think I’d eaten too many crisps in Calais and I started to feel a bit sick.  But I didn’t say so of course, it was really kind of Pavel to do that special welcome for us.

We then flew on to the part of town where he and his family live.  They were not expecting him and they were just SO delighted to see him again.  Lots of jumping up and down and ‘cooing’ with flapping of wings and tremendous happiness all round.  They were even more surprised to see us, two small mice, strapped to his stomach.  We were just a little scared in case they thought we were a food parcel and decided to eat us, but he explained who we were and they were so grateful to us for having looked after him.  He told them we’d helped him to get well again.  (They do say ‘ooh la la’ an awful lot).  We didn’t understand most of what else they said.  But after we’d had a drink of water, we just curled up in a straw nest and slept, we were so terribly tired and excited all at the same time.  We just couldn’t believe it wasn’t a dream,that we’d actually flown all the way from our Tree in the Worcestershire woods, all the way to central Paris in France!  I’ll tell you what happened when we woke in the morning, it was amazing…

All best whiskers from George, Matilda and all the mice. 

Saturday, July 10, 2010

How we crossed The Channel

For our journey to Paris we packed lots of nuts and nibbles in the fingers of the old woolly glove we’d strapped to Pavel’s stomach.  We also had knitted hats and scarves with us, and two balloons with strings, ready to blow up and use as parachutes if the worst happened and we came down in the sea.  We had two small pieces of polystyrene packaging with us too, to use as floats to hang onto, just in case….

The flight from Worcester down to Dover was long but very interesting. We could see the world all spread out and tiny below us.  I have travelled a bit in my own flying machine from time to time, but I could never go very far or very high, because of the problems of having to wind up the elastic band to turn the propellers every so often.  Flying with Pavel was amazing.  His stomach was quite warm, so we snuggled up next to it, tied onto him in our glove and we just felt spellbound watching the scenery below.  Tiny cars buzzing along roads, so many houses in little rows, big lakes like mirrors, things we had never imagined.  We stopped a few times on the way in trees, and had some of our food to keep our strength up.

When we finally got to Dover we touched down at the edge of the cliffs and looked at the sea.  It was night, and the stars twinkled in the velvety blue sky.  Pavel was very tired so we decided to wait till the morning before making the crossing, have a good breakfast, and set off again.  We curled up to sleep under his wings.  He was still quite worried about the next part of the journey so we sang a few songs and tried to stop him thinking about it too much.  We all drifted off to sleep in the end, listening to the sound of the waves lapping on the pebbles on the beach below.  We needed the scarves and woolly hats because the night air was quite cold.

Next morning as we set off, we could see lots of boats out on the sea, and ferries making the crossing to France.  We realised that we could easily land on any of the little fishing craft out there if Pavel got tired, and this was good news because it meant it was less likely that we would fall into the sea if he got exhausted.  We were flying at a speed of about 30 miles per hour, so we were making good time.  The Channel is apparently 21 miles wide from Dover to Calais.  Pavel was now feeling braver and was looking forward to seeing his friends in France again.  They must have been very worried about him when he didn’t return for such a long time.  It took us about an hour to cross because we stopped twice on the masts of sailing boats and had a quick rest.  Then suddenly we were over Calais and Matilda and I were seeing France for the very first time!  There was so much to tell the children back in The Tree at home, who were being looked after by Daisy whilst we were away.  I’ll tell you how we got to Paris in my next Blog!

With best whiskers from George and Matilda Mouse

Thursday, July 08, 2010

George Mouse’s Paris Expedition

Hi folks, this is George Mouse calling – after a very long time away.  You will never guess the adventure that Matilda and I have had!  It was all a big surprise but it was fantastic!

You’ll perhaps remember that a pigeon landed in a heap outside our front door some while ago when there was a volcanic ash cloud hanging over Europe and he had got covered in dust and couldn’t breathe properly.  We mice all looked after him till he was better, washed the dust off him and gradually got him flying again.  It took ages ‘cos he had really got scared and didn’t think he dared fly again. 

His name was Pavel and he was born in an egg in Poland but later flew to Paris and lived in a loft at the top of a building there called ‘La Bourse’ – it used to be the Stock Exchange.  The reason he liked it so much was, there was a café across the road that had really yummy food, and so there were always plenty of bread and nibbles thrown away in the bins at the end of the day.  He just swooped down and helped himself.  When he first arrived with us, he was quite a plump pigeon and you can imagine why!  But by the time he’d lived on our kind of food, berries, insects and soup, he’d lost a lot of weight – no bad thing actually ‘cos it made launching him into the air a lot easier in the end.

Anyway, we got to know him quite well.  I think he was really grateful to us for looking after him.  We liked him a lot.  He told great travel stories.  Gradually as he got better he knew he must fly home to Paris sometime soon, but he was still very scared.  So we all hatched up a brilliant idea.  Matilda and I made a kind of sling out of an old glove, and we strapped it to his stomach.  We climbed inside, stretched out, and found that we could fly along underneath him, a bit like hang-gliding.  We did a few flights with him around the woodland here, and then when Heather told us the ash cloud was gone, we decided to do a flight back to Paris with him. 

We had a really amazing time, and I’ll tell you more in my next Blog.  By the way, is there anyone out there reading this?  We mice would really like to know! Please send us an email if there is!

All best whiskers from George, Matilda and all the mice. 

Monday, April 26, 2010

Pigeon Post

Well, hi, this is George Mouse sending you all the latest news again.  I was going to tell you about my adventure with the tank equipment, and I’m sorry its been a while since I’ve written, but we had yet another emergency and it was all paws on deck to sort it out.

I’m sure you’ve all heard about the Volcano in Iceland that sent up a cloud of ash into the sky, so aeroplanes had to stop flying over UK for a while.  I didn’t know about any of that stuff when I was travelling back on my own long long journey from the wheelie bins carrying my booty for my next project, but when I got back we were just going to have a party when there was a great whoosh and a bang in our front garden, by the Tree, and we all rushed out to see what had made the noise.

Well, we got the shock of our lives.  A huge pigeon was lying across the whole vegetable patch and the flower area.  His eyes were closed and he was hardly breathing.  Matilda got out the balloon we use for air travel and we all puffed into it and then I climbed up and put it near the pigeon’s face, so he could breathe the air in if he wanted to.  After a while, with all the other mice watching, he opened his eyes.

We got him a drink of water from the stream and offered it in a conker shell.  At last he was able to talk and he told us that he’d been flying very high in the sky and had suddenly been covered in ash from the cloud the volcano had made.  He’d swallowed some of it and had managed to fly slowly back from it, but had felt so ill that he almost fell from the sky, right into our front garden!

Well, you can imagine, we rather forgot about our welcome home party for the time being and everyone tried to help the pigeon.  We set up a mouse chain to bring water in conker shells from the river, and we rigged up wooden ladders so we could stand on his back (without hurting him of course) to feed him and to stroke his poor feathers which had got ash in them too.  He has stayed lying there, quite still, all week, and at last we think today he may manage to stand up.

Anyway, with all this going on, I’m sure you’ll understand that I haven’t had much time to write my Blog and take it round to Heather’s front door.  Today is the first day I’ve felt we could leave the pigeon for a moment.  We’ve had to cover him with leaves as camouflage, as we don’t want any roaming cats, badgers or foxes to find him.  I’ll let you know how things are going whenever I can.  Hopefully he will get completely well again and be able to stand up and fly away to his real home when he’s ready.  He tells me he is a very fast Olympic racing pigeon, and that he was hoping to be in the pigeon Olympics quite soon.  I must say, I think it’ll be a while before he flies at great speeds again.

All best whiskers from your friend George Mouse and all the family.

George Mouse

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Home at last!

Hello there, it’s Matilda again, but this time with the very best of news!  George managed to reach our Tree home early this morning, and he has brought with him a wonderful plastic box ‘thing’ which he intends to make into a TANK, so that whenever we go out, we can go out in larger groups underneath it, and collect more things to stow away inside.  It will be good, for instance, for collecting lots of seeds for sowing in our vegetable garden, and also for collecting interesting scraps of food as treats.  We can put them in bags and hang them up inside.

He is very very tired though, right now, and he has gone to bed, after a meal of bread and soup and berries.  Over the weekend he is just going to sleep and eat, to build up his strength.  Then on Sunday we are going to have a party as a celebration of his homecoming. We’ll tell you all about it afterwards.

I’m hoping Heather may be able to put a picture of our Tree, with all of us in it, on this Blog, so that you can imagine how it will look with the party in full swing.  George wants to write next week and tell you all about his incredible adventure, so I guess its goodbye from me for a while, until the next time he gets into problems.  We are all so happy to have him safely home again, all the children hugged him until he almost couldn’t breathe!

Goodbye for now from Matilda Mouse and all the children, and from a snoring George!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Long Trail Home

Matilda here again, bringing you the latest news.  Our friend the robin has been flying backwards and forwards all day to see that George is still safe, and to tell us how far he has now managed to push the box he’s hiding inside.  We think George must be getting very tired as he spent a long time (probably curled up asleep) in the box in one place on Heather’s lawn.  The journey is very slow.  I suppose it’s like a marathon really.  And of course he probably hasn’t eaten anything for days now so he must be terribly hungry.

The robin is very brave to keep up the low flying, as there are several cats around, also watching the progress of George’s box as he continues on his trail home.

We are planning a huge celebration meal for when George finally does get back, the children are making acorn cakes and getting very excited.  I am truly hopeful all will be well, but with the cats prowling around, you never quite know. 

Granddad Parsley has made a ‘WELCOME HOME’ sign to hang at the entrance of our Tree, and all the younger mice are busy colouring in the letters.  They are making a terrific mess with the paint, getting it all over themselves as well as putting it on the sign, but it really doesn’t matter.  (We’ll be Spring cleaning later on, anyway).

I hope to give you more good news tomorrow, so, until then,

Cheerio from Matilda and all the mice xxx

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hope at last!

This is still Matilda saying ‘Hi’ and I’m sorry I didn’t write yesterday but we’ve all been out searching for George who is not back yet. However, just when we were all really beginning to think he had been eaten, we had an enormous piece of luck. He’s not actually safely home yet but I’ll tell you what’s happened, or at least, what we think has happened.

The birds get very hungry in the Spring. People who have been feeding them during the Winter often think they will have enough to eat in the warmer weather, but this is just the time when they are having babies and need more to eat. After a very cold Winter like we have just had, there are not so many insects around, and the birds get very hungry indeed. A robin who comes to the woods a lot, and has a nest in an old Wellington boot someone left here once, this robin saw us all out calling for George and said he might be able to help. Normally I’d keep the children away from birds of any kind, just in case they ate us, but he didn’t seem scary and just wanted to talk. So we told him George was lost.

The day before, this robin had been down by the road looking for food in the Wheelie Bins which had not been collected by the dustbin men for a week or two because it was Easter. So they were very full. The robin thought he might get some scraps off the ground round the bins. But he caught sight of something really strange. There was a clear plastic box moving very slowly up the drive away from the bins, towards Heather’s house. He flew back and had a look several times, and each time the box had moved a bit further. There was no wind, so it couldn’t have been blown along.

At last, when he felt it was safe, he flew right down and perched on top of the box. Inside he could see what he thinks is George, pushing the box along from the inside. The robin says this box is shaped like a HUGE egg, with square bits round the edges of it. He doesn’t think its safe for me or the children to go all the way to see it, as there are cats around, but he keeps flying back to see how far it has moved. He is sure it is coming slowly towards the woods.

I guess George has found something exciting to use in a new invention and he is using it to hide in whilst he pushes it home. I just hope he has had something to eat, or he will be totally exhausted when he gets here. The robin is kindly keeping an eye on the box and as soon as he tells us George is getting near the grass, just beyond the woods, we’ll all put on our lifejackets and go out to help him. But as he’s moving so slowly, that may not be until tomorrow. Anyway, I’ll write again as soon as I can, to let you know when he’s safely back. At least we know he has not been caught and eaten – so far, anyway!

Paws and fingers crossed again, from Matilda Mouse and all the children xxx

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Search party on Saturday

Hello, this is Matilda Mouse trying to write George Mouse’s Blog.  George went off on Friday morning very early on a ‘Secret Mission’ but we are all very worried now because he didn’t come home at all last night.  I know we had been talking about Spring Cleaning, which is something he doesn’t really enjoy, but it would not be enough to make him want to leave home.  He did tell me that he’ d found some carrot seeds just ready for the taking, but he’d had a fight with Tiger the Tabby cat and lost his life jacket in the process. 

This morning the children and I checked all the places he might have gone.  I sent Mallow to look in the Caravan where George’s sister Daisy lives, and Parsley went to look in the narrowboat, moored up on the stream, where Clover was cooking breakfast.  No one had seen George though.  His aeroplane was still parked next door to the Tree.  It is all a mystery.

Later Daisy and I went to search in Heather’s vegetable garden, where the carrot seeds were, and we picked up George’s lifejacket, but there was no sign of him.  You can imagine that we mice are all very very worried but we still hope he will come home safely.  We will carry on with the search after dark, with candles.  I’ll write again as soon as I can and hope to have better news, or, even better, I hope George will be writing this Blog again himself!

Paws, tail and whiskers crossed,
From Matilda and all the mice….

Thursday, April 08, 2010

A hairy scary day

We mice had meant to write our Spring cleaning list out today, and maybe even start some of the work, but I had a bit of a disaster.  I was walking in the woods before breakfast, looking for anything tasty to eat, when I noticed that Heather’s vegetable patch had some seed packets on sticks in one corner, marking out the rows of carrots she must have been sowing.  I know from other times that these packets usually have a few odd seeds left in them.  So I was just thinking about scampering across and checking them out to see, which made me take my eyes off the area around me.  We mice love carrots, they help us to see in the dark, or at least, we have been told that they do.  I have also made a carrot harvesting machine which I always enjoy using.

Anyway, it was really lucky that of course I was wearing my patchwork lifejacket because what I didn’t see, till it was almost too late, was Tiger the Tabby cat stalking me.

I just heard a low growl and a shadow and then WHOOSH, he was behind me and the chase was on.  I ran as fast as I could but I’m not as young as I was and for a moment I really thought I was going to be a cat’s breakfast.  He sank his claws into the jacket, but I was just able to wriggle free in time, and I rolled under the bluebell leaves in the woodland when I got there and lay still.  I couldn’t move because I was totally out of breath.  Tiger went on sniffing around and lurking for a while, but luckily the wild garlic in the woods smells so strong, he must have lost my scent underneath it.  I limped home later on when it seemed safe and I had to tell Matilda I’d lost my jacket, and why.

Anyway, I’m much better now, having been fussed over and given some acorn soup.  And so is Mallow I’m pleased to say.  I haven’t told Matilda, but tomorrow I’m going to put on a spare life jacket and go back to the vegetable patch to get the one I lost there, and also I’ll take a bag and try to get some of those carrot seeds.  They’d be great for our own vegetable garden.  I think I’ll go before dawn, as the cat will probably not be up and out and about by then.  It’ll be a good surprise for everyone if I manage to do this.  But its better Matilda doesn’t know, or she’ll worry.  If I get back safely, I’ll be writing my Blog again tomorrow!
Paws crossed… wish me luck!

With best whiskers,
George Mouse (The Brave)

George Mouse

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Still nibbling Easter eggs…

Hello there, it’s Wednesday now and we mice are still nibbling Easter eggs.  Well, that’s to say, some of us are, but one of us (Mallow) ate far too much chocolate at once and he’s been feeling really really ill.  He took one WHOLE egg upstairs when no one was watching and sat munching it under his bed till it was all gone.  I’m sorry to tell you that a little while later he was very very sick indeed.  I don’t think he’ll be eating chocolate again for quite a while.  The egg was almost as big as his head, so you can imagine how full he felt afterwards.  And also he was sorry for how greedy he’d been. Poor Mallow!

With the coming of Spring, Matilda and I have been thinking about doing some Spring cleaning soon.  We have seen lots of ladybirds today, crawling around the furniture in the Tree.  Some of them have lots and lots of spots, not quite like our normal kind of ladybirds.  We use ladybirds for maths lessons and its confusing having all these extra spots to add up in sums.  I think because they feel warmer in the sunshine, they are all waking up and beginning to walk about.  It’s the end of Winter and time for them to start exploring.

Mallow, who you may already know loves insects of any kind, would have liked to run around catching them to draw and to keep under his bed in his Zoo there, but as I said before, he’s been feeling so ill that he’s just been lying on his bed looking tired and he hasn’t felt interested enough to get up and chase them.  Maybe he will tomorrow.

Today we have decided to make a list of the Spring cleaning tasks to do.  We’ll write each one on a small snippet of paper and put them all in a conker shell.  Then everyone in turn can put in a paw and pull out a slip.  That way its fair, everyone gets a job to do, and its more like a game.  We are going to give prizes for each one when its completed, and even Matilda and I will get prizes too, as the jobs we are going to do will mean us climbing up ladders and doing tricky things. I’m hoping Heather will leave us some goodies on the doorstep if she reads this and realises we need some more treats.  Not chocolate though!

It’s been quite a busy day today and we are going to bed early.  The weather is still quite cold in the Tree, and we are still wearing scarves and hats for some of the time, but not when we are doing sports as they get in the way.

With best whiskers,
George Mouse

George Mouse

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

When I met Heather

Well, as its Easter now, we are all having fun today with special treats of Easter eggs.

You will no doubt be wondering how an uneducated mouse like me manages to write a Blog.  Well, I’ll try to explain.  I have always felt I was kind of special. Not showing off, or anything like that, but I just had a feeling inside of me that I wanted to do stuff that other mice had never done before.  And then I met Heather.  Heather lives with her family in a house near here.  She really really likes mice. (Not everyone does).  We met up by chance at the edge of the wood one day and got chatting.  I told her a bit about my life. She told me she was a writer.  She asked if she could write about me and paint a picture of me.  I thought that might be cool, so long as she kept our location secret, which she promised she would.  I certainly did not want groups of sight-seeing humans coming each day to peer into our Tree and call out about how cute they thought we were.  Even worse, they might have kidnapped us and put us in a laboratory to monitor what we do and how we live.

So nowadays, I write a long note to Heather (on paper she has given us) after breakfast, to tell her our ‘Latest News’.  Putting on my life-jacket, I set off early, out of the wood and across her garden before anyone is around, to push my paper through the gap under her front door.  When she’s read it, (she has to use a magnifying glass of course and correct the spelling) she either types it up into a new story about us, or, as she’s started doing now, she writes up my Blog on the computer for me, so I can talk to you.  In return she leaves messages for me of emails children have sent to me the day before (and sometimes for the other mice too)so I can answer them, and she also leaves treats on the front doorstep for us.  Today it was a bag made of netting and in it were some small chocolate eggs – well, small to her but quite big to us.  I had to go back and fetch Mallow and Parsley to lend me a paw to pull it home as it was quite heavy.  Now we’ve peeled the beautiful sparkly silvery papers off each egg and we’ll use them to make something later.  We’re sharing two of the eggs for lunch.  And after lunch we are playing at sliding down the leaves of daffodils, because some are big enough to slide on now.  We really like Eastertime!

With best whiskers,
George Mouse

George Mouse

Monday, April 05, 2010

What’s it like living in our Tree…

Life in our Tree starts each day when the sun comes up and the first birds begin to sing.  The noises in the wood are sometimes scary in the night; the badgers go thundering and snorting past our Tree, the owls hoot and flutter around and we can even hear foxes coughing nearby.  We try not to go out too much at night – its safer to stay tucked up in bed at home.  In the town we always had to go out at night to get food because otherwise people would see us in the daytime.  But here in the wood, no one ever comes near us, so we feel much safer walking around in the sunshine, or even the rain.

When the sky lightens at dawn, we all go outside, before we’ve even washed our whiskers, to do our exercises and breathe in the fresh air of the new day.  We try to keep as fit as we can, because that way we’re able to run much faster than anything that wants to catch and eat us.  Our brains work better too, so we are cleverer. We stretch out our paws to the rising sun, we skip on the spot and we touch our toes ten times.  Then we go in for breakfast.

We usually sit down together and have acorns roasted on the fire.  The fire is always lit, it keeps us warm and it frightens beetles away.  Then we get washed, brushed and stand around deciding how we are going to use the day.

In the mornings the children normally do their schoolwork.  This is divided into reading, writing, maths and nature study.  We also do some sport with them, sometimes basketball.  After lunch (which is usually a delicious treat like special cheese – I’ll tell you how we get treats in my next Blog) we do ‘Survival Studies’ together.  This is about staying alive. We sometimes go out for sorties into the wood to see what we can find to eat for supper, but we never go out without our life-jackets.  Matilda invented these for her brothers when she was young, and they are essential survival kit.  If a bird swooped down to gobble us up, we’d be ready to just undo the ties on the front of the jackets and wriggle free.  You must do this near the ground though, so that you don’t have a dangerous fall.  We practise this every afternoon, as well as speed running and hide and seek.

Then in the evenings after supper we have story-telling round the fire.  Granddad Parsley is the best at this, he has some wonderful tales about the olden days to tell.  We have singing and dancing too, which keeps us warm and happy and fit.  But all this makes us pretty tired so then we all settle down to sleep upstairs in the dormitory in the Tree, but we always take it in turns to have one mouse left sitting on watch beside the fire all night, just in case a badger or a fox breaks in.  There is a rope tied to a bell upstairs and the mouse would ring it as an alarm if he needed to, and then be hauled up to hide under the beds with the rest of us, till the danger had passed.

Tomorrow I’ll start to tell you about some of the fun things we also do each day, once we’ve made sure we are as safe as we can be!

With best whiskers

George Mouse

George Mouse

Sunday, April 04, 2010

George Mouse’s first blog message!

Hi there!  This is George Mouse saying ‘hello’ for the very first time in my very first Blog!  I have always wanted to write about our life in the Tree where we mice live, and at last I think I’ve found a way to do it.  If you’ve already read any of the books about us, you’ll know that I was born in this Tree, I grew up here, and that I like to make things.  I’m a kind of inventor mouse.  I was the first mouse to ever build his own aeroplane so I could explore the woods from the air, and the other mice thought that was quite a cool thing to do.

I grew up with five older sisters and my Mum and Dad.  I built a caravan take them all away to the seaside for a holiday and it was there, on the beach, that I met my soulmate Matilda.  I later flew back to fetch her by air balloon and we got married here in the Tree.  Then, because we were curious about the world, we set out together on an expedition to a nearby town, and we managed to find an old dolls’ house to live in.  We had five children, called Mallow, Parsley (after his granddad), Columbine, Polyanthus and Periwinkle.  We made our own school, but battling the town cats became tiring and scary, and I was homesick for the countryside I loved.

A mouse needs two things in life – to be able to find food to eat, and to make sure he and his family don’t become food for someone else to eat!  I think its easier to survive in the country, and when my Dad fell out of a tree and hurt himself (getting mistletoe at Christmas) Matilda and I brought the children back here to help out whilst he got better, and we’ve stayed here ever since. 

In my Blog I’m hoping to be able to tell you all about life from a mouse’s point of view. I’ll tell you about nature in the woodland through the seasons, about how we mice recycle things we find, how we manage without electricity, and I’ll tell you about all the projects we are working on in case you’d like to join in. For a start, as its Easter we’ve made a picture of us all painting Easter eggs, which you can download and colour in if you want to.  I hope you’ll find all this fun!

Best Whiskers for now from George Mouse.

George Mouse

Page 1 of 1 pages

home |  email the mice |  books |  ourworld |  meet the mice |  meet Heather |  school workshops |  links  
storytime |  fun and games |  latest news |  George's workshop

All the illustrative and text material on this site © Heather S. Buchanan 2000 - 2010. Please read our Privacy Policy.